Rent for Space is a model for uniform, equitable, and effective management of Washington University School of Medicine space.
Changes to the Rent for Space model were recommended and implemented in FY20 using a phased approach, outlined below.
Effective July 1, 2019
- Charges rent for wet lab space and returns a portion of research dollars supporting wet lab research
- Based on room type and quality of space
- Funds basic renewal of space
- Adds ambulatory, office/dry lab, and auxiliary space to the model
- Will work to realign revenue to neutralize phase starting places and incentivizes effective space utilization
- Begin renewal schedule for interiors and infrastructure
- Develop 10-year renewal plan
- Determine all campus space with no current assigned rent
- Determine cost of unfunded space
- Align rents on currently leased space with new rents
- Align funding changes with cost of space
- Present model to executive faculty for approval