Washington University School of Medicine and BJC HealthCare, in partnership with Bi-State Development, completed a major upgrade to the Central West End (CWE) MetroLink station in April of 2021. Highlights include numerous safety and aesthetic improvements including:
- Widening of the main stairwell from 6’ to 10’
- Installing a new glass elevator relocated out of the pedestrian path of travel
- Installing a new glass canopy which covers 60% of the platform which is 3x more than the previous platform
- Construction of a new WUSM welcome center near the Euclid level entrance/exit to the station.
- Enhanced lighting and security fencing and gates.
- Numerous aesthetic upgrades including stone cladding to match façade of adjacent WUSM buildings
This project was completed over a span of 2 years while successfully keeping the station open and operational. This required extensive coordination with our partners at Metrolink and our contractor, Tarlton Corporation. All work was completed during the night shift with work over the tracks being performed between 1am and 4am when the Metrolink was closed and the overhead catenary wires were de-energized. Overall, this was a very successful project that would not have been possible without the cooperation and determination of all parties involved.